A SOARING VISION
The DALLAS INSTITUTE brings thought, imagination, language, and sensibility to bear on the convergence between the visible shaping of the world and the permanent values necessary for the CRAFTING of CULTURE.
“THE WORLD NEEDS DALLAS.
I can see Dallas–just at the moment
when one senses the loss of American greatness—
giving form to an American renaissance…”
-Louise Cowan, “Without Utopianism or Nostalgia,” Imagining Dallas. Dallas Institute Press. 1982
“INSTITUTE” derives from Greek ἵστημι (hístēmi): “to stand”
The word suggests a SANCTUARY that stands strong even as it contains precious, vulnerable, and otherwise invisible forms such as
HUMANITIES & CULTURE
What the HUMANITIES do —
• distinguish human intelligence from artificial/mechanistic intelligence
• dignify interiority and reflection
• deepen our public encounters and conversations
• elevate us above brute nature
• (and thus) make CULTURE possible