September 16, October 21, November 18, 6:30 – 8:00pm
Dinner-and-a-Classic-Movie on December 16, 6:15 – 9:00pm – SOLD OUT
To be added to the waiting list, please contact Registrar Joshua Kalin.
Presented by Dr. Scott Churchill and Guest Critics
This venerable Institute group has been meeting for more than a decade and is still going strong. Our resident film critic and Institute Fellow Scott Churchill keeps his eye out for the best films released year-round and assigns several for members to watch on their own and then come together to discuss on third Mondays at the Institute. Learning from Dr. Churchill, guest critics, and each other, we become “better” filmgoers, which means that we watch with enlightened, more delighted eyes. Each semester ends with a treat for the group: dinner and a classic movie, with a post-film discussion led by Dr. Churchill and Institute Fellow Patrick Kelly–an event that always plays to a capacity crowd. In May the group celebrated its tenth-anniversary dinner-and-a-classic-movie with To Have and Have Not, starring Bogie and McCall. A good time was had by all….
This year we are celebrating 10 years of Speaking of Movies!!!
Semester: $125, $110 Members, $50 Educator Members
Per session: $35, $30 Members, $14 Educator Members
DR. SCOTT CHURCHILL is an Institute Fellow, Professor of Psychology at the University of Dallas, and a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. He also teaches film at UD.
Chronology of Classic Dinner & Movies (2009 – Present)
- 2009 Dec: Amarcord (Federico Fellini, 1974)
- 2010 May: The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen, 1985)
- 2010 Dec: Dark Eyes (Nikita Mikhalkov, 1987)
- 2011 May: The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)
- 2011 Dec: Fellini: I’m a Born Liar (Damien Pettigrew, 2002)
- 2012 May: The Gay Divorcee (Mark Sandrich, 1935)
- 2012 Dec: Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 1951)
- 2013 May: Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur, 1947)
- 2013 Dec: Cape Fear (J. Lee Thompson, 1962)
- 2014 May: Some Like It Hot (Billy Wilder, 1959)
- 2014 Dec: Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
- 2015 May: North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)
- 2015 Dec: Bringing up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938)
- 2016 May: Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
- 2016 Dec: Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
- 2017 May: The Trip to Bountiful (Peter Masterson, 1985)
- 2017 Dec: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)
- 2018 May: The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
- 2018 Dec: Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1975)
- 2019 May: Fellini: I’m a Born Liar (Damien Pettigrew, 2002)
- 2019 Dec: You will have to show up and find out!